Friday, April 30, 2010

Frankston's new identity and stationary


This is the current logo of my home town, Frankston. In the 22 years I've lived there, I have not spotted a single dolphin. Scandalous.

I wanted to create an image for the City of Frankston that would identify with locals and people coming to visit. First up, I walked around with the camera and took a few shots,


Most of Frankston is stuck in an eighties time warp which makes all the colours and shapes quite strong but lurid. I pulled out the shapes and colours then traced them in illustrator, this created some interesting shapes.


I found that Franga town loves its arched shapes. Particularly in the new development areas where the council has built the new Cinema Complex.

I ended up with this, it looked a bit funky eighties but it didn't buzz enough. Also it didn't really represent Frankston as a whole. The logo needed to be less perfect, Frankston's far from being a perfect place. By at least 15 years.


This is the homepage of one of my favourite local illustrators, Eamo Donnelly. His work draws a lot from his life in Australia. The raw, scraggly line work is really complimented by awesome pastel colours. It also resembles my experience of Frankston a lot more than the above logos.


I went back a step and looked at the shapes of Frankston, I found a lot of awning and arches. Because Frankston's known as the gateway to the Mornington Peninsula, the symbol of an entrance seemed appropriate. I used a dry brush texture to give the impression of a scruffy, seaside town with charisma.



The Frankston City Council seemed like the obvious company to apply this new imagery to. The above are three businesscards for three different positions in the council (Recreation, Building and Development, Arts and Entertainment). Each one is colourized according to my palette and treated with the dry brush texture. Each is a photo of Frankston taken by yours truly :)


The letterhead followed suit, it's pretty straightforward. I didn't want to add more than what was needed because all the white space would be used for letters etc.


Then I started having more fun with the logo and seeing where I could apply it for different situations. This is a flyer for the Frankston Summer Festival. Bringing the community together is an integral part of making Frankston grow as a city. So not only is this a graphic experiment but also a social one. By the way, can you see some of Eamo's colours?

Then i turned the awning upside down and made a wine glass. Clever me. The colours are still in line with the swatch earlier but they were really important for suggesting a classy, formal event although its still rough and charming.

This is definately a visual response to my personal experience with Frankston. However, I like to think this idea can relate to anyone else who grew up there or is just visiting. Everyone has an opinion about this town and that's why I wanted to do a project on it.

If you haven't been before, come with an open mind and between the hours of 7am and 8pm.

Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. that is fab! great concept.
    submit to the council asap! X

    ReplyDelete